Model shots

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by the last Mr Frosty, Oct 4, 2012.

1. the last Mr Frosty

the last Mr Frosty Science Officer

Red dwarf aside they were appalling
    !!! Well done moaning fans you got what you asked for:?

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Did you need to make two threads on this subject?

3. Tex Rimmer MUST return

Tex Rimmer MUST return Flight Co-Ordinator

The ones of Red Dwarf were good, and the shot of Red Dwarf towing the trojan were good. Starbug flying to the trojan and back to red dwarf were awful. Space was moving in the wrong direction and starbug didn't turn or anything. It was weird.

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

hopefully we will get to see inside of starbug at some point, altho i think we may not from the look of it

otherwise the model shots were similar to series 6

5. the last Mr Frosty

the last Mr Frosty Science Officer

is that the best you can bring to the conversation? I suggest silence!!!

6. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Supply Officer

They looked good to me, didnt see much of the bug

7. Jimbothon

Jimbothon Skutter

The model shots were a little off, why was space orbiting Red Dwarf. Some were fine, namely the towing of "Trojan". Starbug looked a little stuck in place like it did in the early series.

8. no_name

no_name Third Technician

I thought they were good. Some great, others not so great. Was only watching on a laptop but can see what people are saying about the Starbug one. At the end of the day though the whole show looked really good and it's a comedy show first and foremost and given that, it looked great.

9. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I liked the models a lot.

I missed the angular legs that starbug has when in flight during series VI onwards, but that was not a biggie. From a practical point of view, it's debatable if there was a practical point to the angled legs anyway. I suppose it would make the craft a bit more aerodynamic when travelling through an atmosphere, although you'd probably pull them up even tighter or into the craft. (Mind you Starbug without legs would look strange.)

10. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

Red Dwarf towing looked very plastic....

Sadly the model shots looked a lot like Tonka Toys in a lot of instances.

Perhaps they were sufficient in the pre-HD era but they just didn't stand up to modern TV.

The shot in the title sequence of Blue Midget seemed even worse, if anything.

(However the exploding stuff looked pretty nice, perhaps they saved all their money for that? :-p )

11. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

Starbug seemed a bit stiff, but Starbug always seemed a bit stiff as a model. That's one of the things that CGI improved, allowing the legs to move as it traveled. One particular shot with Red Dwarf, That of it carrying the ship behind it, looked a bit fakey. Like Plastic. Otherwise, everything was fine to me. Quit being.... ANTI EVERYTHING :lol:

12. ghastly98

Its simply a complaint about the necessity of it. We're fine in discussing the shots, but we don't need two threads discussing the same thing made on the same day by the same person.

13. ghastly98

ALSO!
    If you watch this video, specifically section 11:19-12:02, and section 12:26-12:55, it shows that this model works well. The model in RDX is just a shortened version of the unused series 8 and Remastered model. So the model itself is fine, something must have gone wrong with the filming.

14. Pendo

Pendo Second Officer Fan Club Team

I thought the model shots were fantastic.

Was that a new shot of Starbug or an old one? I thought I had seen those shots before, I was wondering if they just made HD masters from the 35mm footage and superimposed it over the new Red Dwarf.

15. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I'm pretty sure it was new. It seemed subtly different to my eyes, for one thing.